Tourist attractions

UNESCO World Heritage Seooreung Royal Tombs
UNESCO World Heritage Seooreung Royal Tombs
homepage map
Seooreung refers to a cluster of 5 royal tombs located in this area. Namely, they are Gyeongreung or the tombs of King Deokjong and Queen Sohye, Ikreung or the tomb of Queen Ingyeong, the first wife of King Sukjong, Myeongreung or the tombs of King Sukjong and Queens Inhyeon and Inweon and Hongreung or the tomb of Queen Jeongseong. This area was selected as the site for royal tombs in 1457 based on traditional geomantic principles when King Sejo’s crown prince or Deokjong died. In addition to these 5 royal tombs, there are Sunchangweon or the tomb of King Myeongjong’s crown prince which is the first of its kind in Joseon Dynasty and the tomb of Jang, a famous royal concubine of King Sukjong, who left a lot of historical anecdotes. Seo-O-Reung is a large royal family tomb from Joseon Dynasty next only to Dong-Gu-Reung in size. It is by No. 55 prefectural road leading out from Goyang City Hall to Galhyeon-dong, Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul.
UNESCO World Heritage Seosamneung Royal Tombs
UNESCO World Heritage Seosamneung Royal Tombs
map
Seosamneung refers to a cluster of 3 royal tombs located at Weondang-dong, Goyang-si, which are namely Hyoreung, Huireung and Yongreung. Total area of the tombs is about 70,000 pyeong or 21,212㎡. It was Huireung or the tomb of Queen Janggyeong, the second wife of King Jungjong, which was placed at this area for the first time. Originally, the site of the tombs claimed vast area of about 1.3 million pyeong or 39,400㎡. Much of the site was divided leaving only 21,212㎡ today. Half of the site is closed to the public. In addition to these 3 tombs, there are also royal umbilical cords burial sites, tombs of princesses, Sogyeongweon and Hyochangweon etc.
Open 06:00~18:30 in March through October, 06:30-17:30 in November through February (Closed on each Monday)

Subway
Samsong Station Subway Line 3 -> Take Bus 041 -> Seosamneung
Bus
Boarding the bus 7733, 567 -> Samsong Station Subway Line 3, Exit 5 -> Take Bus 041
Bukhansanseong Fortress
Bukhansanseong Fortress
map
Bukhansanseong is a series of stone walls built along the top ridge of Mt. Bukhan bordering Bukhan-dong, Deokyang-gu, Goyang and Gangbuk-gu, Jongno-gu and Eunpyeong-gu of Seoul. Records have it that the wall was built in 132 during the reign of the King Gaeru of the Kingdom of Baekje and named Bukhansanseong. In the later records, this name appears referring to a fortification important to hold back southward advance of Goguryeo and protect the capital. It is, however, unclear whether Bukhansanseong of the 3 Kingdom Era is identical to the current wall fortification. Fierce battle was fought against the second invasion by Mongolian forces during the reign of King Gojong of Korea Dynasty in 1232. King Taejo made this place his temporary residence during the invasion by the Kitan. All-out repair and reconstruction were carried out during the reign of King Sukjong of Joseon Dynasty. The fortification was built solidly with outer and inner walls which are linking the ridges from peak to peak making advantage of the natural terrain. According to the records, there were gates at 14 locations, 5 gate towers and 3 command posts. Records also have it that there were 26 reservoirs and 99 wells, which cannot be ascertained.
Heungguksa Temple
Heungguksa Temple
homepage map
Heungguk-sa temple originates from Weonhyo, the Buddhist monk of highest virtue in the Kingdom of Shilla who built in 661 a small temple or hermitage named Heungseong-am at the place where he met by chance the Physician of Souls while practicing asceticism at Mt. Bukhan. During the reign of King Yeongjo of Joseon Dynasty, he made this temple a shrine frequented by his mother Choi, a royal concubine, for her well-wishing. This contributed a lot to the prosperity of the temple. There are some cultural heritages kept in the compound of the temple including Buddhist paintings and wooden statues of Buddha. Walk along the path through thick woods of oak trees will take you to the temple where you can have a breathtaking view of 5 peaks of Mt. Bukhan.
Haengjusanseong Fortress
Haengjusanseong Fortress
map
Haengju Sanseong is a mountain fortification built with earthen walls along the ridge of 70~100 meters in elevation with the summit of Mt. Deokyang at Haengjunae-dong, Deokyang-gu, Goyang, which is 124.8 meters above sea level being the center. Whole length of the wall is about 1Km. In the south, the fortification borders Han River. In the southwest, Changreung-cheon river flows around the fortification and into Han River making a natural moat. Very steep slopes in the southwest and south form a natural protective wall. The fortification consists of the inner castle surrounding the peak of a hill close to the river and the outer castle surrounding a small ravine opening to the north. It is unknown exactly when the fortification was built. But the construction method utilizing steep riverside cliffs and shape of the site encompassing wide plains in the northeast resemble the fortifications constructed in early days of the 3 Kingdom Era. Especially, this fortification is well known for the victory won by General Kweon Yul in 1593 during the reign of King Seonjo against invading Japanese forces. The victory is one of the 3 major victories won by the country during the Japanese Invasion.
Ilsan Bamgasi Choga (Ilsan Cottage of Chestnut Trees)
Ilsan Bamgasi Choga (Ilsan Cottage of Chestnut Trees)
map
This is a traditional commoner’s cottage built in the central district during late Joseon Dynasty about 170 years ago. This village had thick woods of chestnut trees in the old days and its name Yul (or chestnut)-dong stems from this. The cottage is characterized by its structure with master bedroom, kitchen, bedroom and barn all arranged in the shape of “ㅁ”. The roof has a coiled up shape and the cottage has a small round courtyard.

Subway
Jeongbalsan station subway Line 3
Bus
11, 70, 81, 90, 91, 830, 921, 1200, 5000, 7727, 9711